[DeTomaso] tire info

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 17 12:34:16 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/17/08 9 29 13, kre at adelphia.net writes:

> I know there has been allot of tire chat of 15s. I spent some time looking
> with little luck on finding a solution of 225-50s and 285 or 295 50-15s of
> any speed rating, DOT race tires,  or less than desirable brands with matching
> tread that are available. Am I looking in the right place and is there a
> solution in those sizes. Thanks in advance.

Kirk,

There are several great solutions out there.   Among the best are the Toyos
(which are only sold through dealers and thus don't show up on the Tire Rack
website).   Toyo makes the Proxes S/T, which is a pretty solid tire intended for
sporting SUVs, in 295/50-15.   It's only H-rated but so what?   They offer
several different Z-rated fronts in 225/50-15 which are a close visual match for
the tread pattern.

Reports from several people here who have switched to the Toyos from BFG is
that the difference is like night and day.   Best of all, they are cheap!   You
can probably get all four tires for about $500, give or take.   They're
available at Les Schwab tire stores, among other places.

Cheers!