[DeTomaso] GR4 wheels

Patrick Hals patrickhals at skynet.be
Mon Mar 17 07:32:06 EDT 2008

Genuine factory GR4 wheels are Campagnolo 10x15 at the front ( using 10.5 inch tyres ) and 14x15 at the rear ( using 14 inch tyres either treaded ( a nightmare, but sometimes compulsory ) or slicks )
When racing in the wet, I use 13x15 at the rear , which is large enough to captivate your concentration, believe me....
I have several spare sets of both. Every time I see one set in 14 inches, I try to get it, as it is, indeed, extremely scarce ( and pricy) . I have 14" wheels both in BBS split rims, ( original Candy wheels - 2 sets) and in "genuine" period Campagnolo ( original Andy wheels - 3 sets)
What exactly are you looking for ?
If for a road car, I would suggest you stick to 13", as 14" road tyres may not even exist ( that's what I've been told ) ( but you can cut slicks, if your pockets are deep enough.... )
If it for racing, then 14" is way better, but on the dry only.
Considering trhe dollar-euro conversion rate, I also suggest that you try buying them in the US....  To give you an example, there was a set of Campagnolo wheels for sale on http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewlisting.php?view=8095. They were asking 5000 GBP, i.e. a little more than . 10,000 USD for 2 front and 4 13" rear....Don't know how much they finally went for, but still, this is a lot of money.
I've been told also that some Campagnolo replicas have been made in Italy recently, but I have no idea if they are of good quality. Those were quite "cheap" in comparison with the Racecardirect advertisement ( 4000 euros or so, 6229 USD for a full set of 10 and 14x15 )
Best and good luck
Patrick
2862 Candy
2342 Andy