[DeTomaso] Aldan Eagle Shock Specifications/Spring Rates

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 01:25:16 EDT 2008

 I was considering getting coilovers a couple of years ago. One of the reasons I didn't is that no one knows what spring rates are best.
I spoke with a Robert Stirret at Aldan who was very helpful.? I gave him the weight and weight distribution of a Pantera and he said for "fast street" use you should have 350-400 in front and 500-550 in the rear.? He looked at what vendors order and sell to customers and the numbers were all over the map---most being too hard.

As long as you have the same RATIO between front and rear spring rates you will not change the handling of the car.? If you make the rear springs stiffer compared to the front it will have the same effect as installing a thicker sway bar in the rear and the car will tend to oversteer more / understeer less.

The length of shock you want depends on how low you want the car to sit. The only way to be happy with what arrives in the mail is to take off the coilover, raise the wheel to where you want it to sit, and measure the distance from bolt hole center to bolt hole center.
With that info Aldan can send you the correct length shock.? If you get them too long you will have to clamp down the spring (thus increasing it's spring rate, possibly up to double) and even then the car may not be low enough for your liking. If you get them too short you may have tire interference problems or ground clearance issues.

Hope this helps.

Jim Oddie