[DeTomaso] Starter Good News bad News

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 18:41:57 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/15/08 2:24:23 PM, PersoCaddy at aol.com writes:

> ...Bad news- my Gary Hall mini brute starter spins but does not engage the
> flywheel.....

There are a few possibilities:
first is a broken bendix-spring which should be sort-of visible between the
gear and the starter motor housing.
Next is a missing tooth on the flywheel ring gear. Surprisingly, most engines
stop at close to the same spot each time, so there's a few flywheel teeth
that get more than their fair share of wear. Occasionally one tooth gets knocked
off or worn down. Flywheel ring gears cost less than $20 and are not hard to R
& R.

Starters need to be shimmed to a particular depth so the bendix-gear winds up
at the right point. Have you had this starter working recently on a Pantera,
or it it a NOS assembly?

Finally is a solenoid or a wiring problem.

My advice is- take the starter off and take it to an auto-electric shop that
specializes in this sort of fun-&-games That will eliminate #1 and 4 right
off, leaving only #2 or a Pantera problem. Good luck, Pat