[DeTomaso] Fantastic fiberglass Pantera parts score

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 21:20:28 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/7/08 10:37:03 PM, johnmckee at cox.net writes:

> A carbon fiber Mangusta....... I can see hours of day dreaming coming on.

It would seem so, but I suggest you not be the first to try building one....
I inspected the molds while we sorted them into 'known', 'unknown' and
'possible GM' piles; one appeared to be a mold for a Corvette Grand Sport hood while
others might be Can-Am/Trans-Am race car parts. Look for an in-depth report
with photos in your POCA Newsletter. Larry was told that no body was ever pulled
from the 'Goose mold so no one really knows what "adjustments" might need to
be made on that unused 6-piece mold (+ 4 more for doors & deck wings). Second,
the complete 'glas bodies (a Pantera L, a GT-5 Pantera and a Mangusta) have
no frames, nor did Long & Newman's frame jigs come with the mold collection. As
someone who once built a fiberglas roadster from only a body shell, I can
tell you it is a real exercise to mount any body-shell on any chassis and have
door and hood/deck openings line up correctly. Scratch-building a frame for 4-
wheel IR suspension with good geometry & handling is even more difficult. Can't
remember what suspension parts Long & Newman used on their proprietary
square-tube frame for the few V-8 kits they built, but I'm pretty sure it was GM.
IMHO, the hundred or so molds for the many bolt-on parts for Panteras will make
valuable additions to the world DeTomaso parts inventory. The body tubs will
be less so IMHO. FWIW- J DeRyke