[DeTomaso] Frozen Trunion Shaft

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 13:46:18 EST 2008

Assuming you're talking about what I think you are talking about, the only
choice is to cut it apart.

It will suck. Been there done that. It wasn't fun.

It is also completely consistent with the failure Chris had. The shaft
became frozen, which means that the arm bends instead of the shaft rotating.
Eventually the arm will break, which is what happened. If the shaft is so
frozen that it won't allow the arm to rotate, I doubt you'll be able to
drive it out.

I had to cut through the cap and the shaft. Be careful because there is a
little nipple on the hub carrier that keeps the thrust bearing from rotating
- you don't want to cut that nipple off.

Take a good look at the diagram in the Parts Manual, then you'll need to cut
through the cup and probably a washer or two to get to the shaft. Make sure
you have new parts on hand from your favorite vendor before getting to work.
There are two designs - one has zerk fittings in the end of the shaft that
squirts grease throughout the hub carrier, and a second design that requires
you to drill through the hub carrier and bearing. Ask which one is better
(as I did) and you'll get completely divided answers (as I did).

Good luck and be glad that you have help.