[DeTomaso] Fantastic fiberglass Pantera parts score

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 12:18:40 EST 2008

Mike,

      But aren't you the one who recently said a fiberglass Pantera makes no sense because there are still a lot of Panteras around and the final cost would be similar to current prices for a "real" Pantera?

      What I think would make a lot of sense is a fire wall back kit for cars with severe damage (or rust) behind the firewall.  You could include beefed up replacement rocker panels to tie into a new rear sub frame, and either have a GT40 style one piece rear body section or the typical fenders and rear deck.  I think something like this would be less work then building a kit car, and would arguably still be a Pantera with an original VIN.  I don't know how many cars currently are in storage with damage this would address, but I think severe damage to the rear is a common enough event to make this worth doing.

  Ken

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:
  I forgot to mention, these are all first-generation molds. What that means
is that these molds were all lifted from original, factory parts (or are
custom, such as the various scoops, hoods, etc.)

Whenever a mold is made, there is some measurable shrinkage. Gary Hall's
L-model front bumper, for example, is something like a fourth-generation copy;
the resultant bumper is almost two full inches smaller than an original!

That also explains why many/most Gr4 and GT5 flare kits don't fit
particularly well. One would presume that parts lifted from these molds would fit much
better.

I also forgot to mention that besides the Long & Newman molds, Larry also got
all the original Peter Revson molds, and Dick Guldstrand's molds too. So
virtually the entire 1970s Pantera aftermarket is now back in business.

Oh, and along with the Pantera stuff, evidently when he sold the stuff to the
guy that sold them to the guy that sold them to Larry, Guldstrand tossed in
some Corvette Gran Sport molds too, so if you have a hankering for one of
those....

Mike

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)