[DeTomaso] Crank bearing problem. Windsor engine problem

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 14:31:08 EST 2008

Assuming the oil analysis company is right, and can actually tell bearing
traces apart by location, what they're saying is, the crank is being constantly
pushed forward against the thrust bearing- which is part of the rear main
bearing. This happens rarely, and usually if a driver 'rides' the clutch or more
often if a super-heavy 'racing' pressure plate is used in the clutch assembly.
In 20 miles, this just won't happen. Occasionally, it happens with stroker
cranks that are mis-machined, but it should have been caught by whoever assembled
the block's lower end- its a basic check to determine the fwd movement of a
crank, while the engine is still apart.

Its also possible to change the main or rod bearing(s) while the engine is
still mounted in the car.... assuming your '71-75 Pantera was modified to use a
removeable rear lower crossmember and e-brake mount bracket. Otherwise, with
the OEM welded crossmember in place, the engine will need to be removed since
the pan cannot be dropped. If the pan can be dropped, I would check ALL the
main and rod bearings for 'copper-color'; I personally don't believe any anylysis
can point to an individual bearing. Good luck- J Deryke