[DeTomaso] oil gauge follow-up question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Mar 6 14:09:12 EST 2008

Thank you--that's great to hear.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to fix the cruise control I messed up while installing the oil pressure gauge...

Chris

From: JDeRyke at aol.comDate: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:03:13 -0500Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] oil gauge follow-up questionTo: chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at realbig.comIn a message dated 3/6/08 9:25:55 AM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:
When I first start the car, the gauges read pretty high, 60 or 70, then move down to about 40 or 50.  When driving, the stay at about 35 or 40, but when idling at a stop light, they go down to about 17 to 20.  Is this normal?Yup. Cold oil is thicker and builds higher pressures. And pressures build up with rpms. When it warms up, the pressure drops, and regardless of temperature, pressures drop at low engine rpms since the pump is turning slower too. Thats why when I talk about oil pressures, I always say- 'at idle' , 'at 3000 rpms' or 'hot pressure'.You can raise the real oil pressure in an engine by replacing the stock pump with a 'high-volume' or 'high-pressure' pump, or shim the pressure relief spring on any pump, but over 100 psi is bad for most engines. What you have is good, and is typical. Cheers- J Deryke**************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance.(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)