[DeTomaso] megabucks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 12:54:15 EST 2008

There was a small article about that car in the POCA newsletter back in about
1989.   It was rather short on detail, but the car was being built as a pure
exercise in spending money.   At the time the article was written, I believe
almost a million dollars (!) had been invested already.

How do you possibly spend a million dollars on a Pantera, in 1989?   Well, to
give an example, the entire exhaust system was hand-fabricated out of
Inconel.   Inconel is a super-duper alloy that is used in extreme high-temperature
applications, such as the exhaust cones on the space shuttle.   Way, way, way
overkill for a normal automobile exhaust system, but this guy wanted it, so
$100,000 later, he had his exhaust system.

The whole car was built like that.   Evidently the owner fell on hard times
because in the early 90s the car was offered up for sale in the POCA
newsletter; the ad said that over $1 million was invested and he was looking for the
best offer.   I'd be surprised if he even got 10% of his investment back when he
sold it.

I never saw the car but reportedly it really was an amazing thing--although
its appearance was fairly stock.