[DeTomaso] Cleveland 2v vs 4v heads

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 02:36:04 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/5/08 5:46:35 PM, HOTPANTERA at aol.com writes:

> I was wonder what the thoughts were between the 2v heads or the 4v heads
> for a Pantera?  What about a 1984 Block?  Thanks for any  help

A)- 4V closed-chamber heads work really good on 400+ cubic inch engines while
the 2V closed-chamber heads work better on 351" engines. Cast-aluminum heads
from a variety of sources work better than either and are 30+ lbs per head
lighter. They are also machined for mechanical cams   as delivered while only the
Boss version of the 4Vs are machined that way as-stock.
B)- There were no 1984 Cleveland blocks except in Australia, and that only up
to about April- probably less than 50 total. In the U.S, Cleveland production
ceased in late 1973. Only early Aussie Clevelands had the desirable siamesed
bores. Later castings were the same as the U.S. version, with 5000 miles of
shipping expenses added on. There are a few jobbers of these blocks around but
weigh any candidates before buying. So-called 'race blocks' weigh nearly 200
lbs while all others weigh around 155 lbs bare; both late Aussie and U.S blocks
have severe core shift problems in the vast majority of blocks. Good luck- J
Deryke