[DeTomaso] Direct Floor Mounting of Driver's Seat

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 14:16:33 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/5/08 2:04:32 AM, scottcouchman at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm thinking about removing the adjustable tracks and bolting the driver's
> seat directly to the floor to maximize headroom.

By cutting away the soundproofing and carpeting directly below the seats, and
removing the   stock seat spacers between the seat-adjusting rails and the
floor, ytou could lower the seats about 1". By dispensing with the seat rails
altogether, you'd gain about 2". Careful measurement of the bolt-holes, then
transferring them to the floor shouldn't be difficult. Keep in mind that the
seats do NOT need to be in the same place as stock; its possible to move the
drivers seat closer to the console to 'straighten out'   your leg position,
especially if we're talking about aftermarket seats. And do use big fender washers
(maybe 2 on each bolt); in a crash, unbelievable forces occur and regular
washers will likely tear right thru the thin floor metal. Also keep in mind that the
seat rails tend to spread out the loads, so bolting directly to the floor
may, in time, crack the floor around your new holes, so inspect them
occasionally. Good luck- J Deryke