[DeTomaso] lower control arm

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 02:13:50 EST 2008

In a message dated 3/4/08 5:40:50 AM, apollo73 at yahoo.com writes:

> Does anyone have one they'd like to get rid of?  Any past experience
> stories, or advice, on repair?

All the control arms (or a-arms) on a Pantera are mild steel and can be gas
or arc-welded by a competent welder with little trouble. But things don't crack
for no reason- I'd look at the surroundings. Specifically, the use of
polyurethane bushings in the outboard end of your anti-swaybars. Using hard urethane
here causes the bar to bind up, and if you corner hard or drive fast on bumpy
roads, the bind usually causes the swaybar mount strap to crack. But not
always....   For bar ends- especially for stiffer oversized bars, I recommend
non-bonding sphereballs rather than poly, or leave stock rubber bushings on the
ends, with poly in the middle for pivots. Good luck- J Deryke