[DeTomaso] Pantera featured on 'Top Gear'

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 20:58:52 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Top Gear is the fantastic automotive-themed hour-long programme on the BBC.
For many years the main hosts have been Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and
James May.   It was launched in its current format in 2002, but in the 1990s
it was a half-hour show.

One of the presenters back then was a former used car salesman and complete
wanker named Quentin Wilson; he did a segment on the De Tomaso Pantera in 1991
or so.   Peter Havlik dug it up on YouTube and sent me the link today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VArc-kY_0s

The dirty, and sad secret behind this video is that Wilson had no business
behind the wheel of a supercar, and he proved this most emphatically when he
comprehensively destroyed the burgandy GT5 by lifting off the throttle in a
high-speed corner on a wet track (at Silverstone).

The car was completely destroyed, yet the owner wanted to salvage it, so the
BBC cut him a check for 50,000 UK pounds, and with an enormous amount of
effort, the car was brought back to life, and in fact I've seen it and driven in
it, and it is quite a fine automobile.

So, with that back story in mind, enjoy the piece!

And thanks Peter!