[DeTomaso] Putting a small block Chevrolet in a 1973 pantera

P. Rimov rimov at charter.net
Sun Mar 2 23:28:49 EST 2008

I think it's a great engine swap option. There are ton of crate motor
options including all aluminum choices weighing in much less than a
Cleveland with big horse power and torque ratings.  The biggest hurdles to
overcome will be having motor mounts, and a ZF bellhousing fabricated along
with a flywheel and clutch that works with the new components. Exhaust and
headers will have to be designed along with an alternator and AC bracket to
fit with in the confines of the bulk head. The water lines will have to be
refashioned along with the throttle cable and oil dip stick . If you go with
EFI there will be some additional challenges like plumbing an electric fuel
pump with a high pressure return line and all the necessary electronics,
relays, fuse and ECU and you will have to figure out how to fashion the
intake's air supply

Money withstanding, my personal choice would be a W12 or a BWM-M V8

Paul 5.0 Pantera