[DeTomaso] Speedometer cable frayed

tbaranek at earthlink.net tbaranek at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 2 10:23:48 EST 2008

Good words of wisdom!
Thanks

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  JDeRyke at aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 02:28:39 EST
To: tbaranek at earthlink.net, detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Speedometer cable frayed

In a message dated 3/1/08 1:11:59 PM, tbaranek at earthlink.net writes:

> My speedometer cable (1973 L) frayed at the ZF connector.  The male (one
> inch long square piece)came apart from the rest of the cable.
>
> Is this a do it yourself?  It looks like it routes through some
complicated
> parts of the car.  Can I attach a new one (vendor please) to the old one
and
> pull/snake the new one into place?

Only if you feel lucky. When a cable wears out or breaks, most often the
plastic low-friction liner inside the cable jacket is also badly worn. So
when you
swap cables as you've outlined, the combination of new cable & old liner
conspire to grab and break the new cable, too. Swapping a cable only takes
minutes; swapping the cable jacket means removing the console (both
halves), the rear
access panel and rear firewall upholstery and climbing under the car to R &
the clamps below the engine/transaxle. Figure on spending a whole Saturday
doing the complete job. Or attend a local Tech Session and there will be
guys
there ready to help you, that have done this before. Not hard, just
tedious.

Second thing: don't remove the small bolt below the right-angle adapter on
the ZF. Pulling that 10mm bolt on a fully assembled tranny will release the
intermediate driveshaft, which then drops inside the ZF. I've welded up a
couple
of cracked ZF cases that were driven (a little ways) with that 4" shaft
bouncing around inside.   The right-angle adapter can if necessary be
removed without
screwing with that little bolt. Good luck- J Deyke

Ideas to
please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-du
ffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp003000000
02598)