[DeTomaso] Greasing the upright Shaft

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 13:27:04 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/29/08 5:51:21 PM, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> ....you want inject the grease in the groove of the sleeve.  About 3/4 inch
> in... I drilled 3/16. The cast is softer than MY replacent bush.... Drill
> through the bush...  Your zerk should be 1/4  and short.

Drilling thru both bushings ensures you get grease to them but it does take
two zerks per side. And for those who have never actually done this but still
feel its necessary to comment, remember that a std greasegun needs about 2" of
clearance to connect to a zerk. Just being able to see the fitting does not
mean it's service-able!
As far as putting zerks in the end of the pivot shaft, I've heard one person
say that they look vulnerable to road-debris hanging out there. But they're
behind the a-arm, away from the normal ditrection of travel. I've had no damage
in the 4 years since I drilled our stock shafts for a single zerk (can't
remember if Hall's original setup for this had a zerk on each end, or just one).
Theoretically, the drilled end of a pivot shaft is very slightly weakened, but
again, I've heard of no one who's broken one on the drilled end, even in a
crash.
Alemite also sells protective plastic caps that cover zerks and all my added
grease fittings have such caps. A very little grease is left on the fitting
end after each servicing and that collects dust, which if not wiped off before
servicing, gets forced into the joints and bushings by next greasing. Good
luck- J Deryke