[DeTomaso] Rear upright removal, photo gallery

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 02:58:02 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/29/08 1:30:34 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Marino (Pantera East) sells one that greases via the end of the shaft,
> while Byers (Precision ProFormance) sells a kit that requires drilling the
> upright.  Not wishing to drill my upright for a zerk,
> Marino's kit looks better, but I'd like to get opinions.

If you drill the upright, you also need to drill the internal spacer or
grease can't reliably penetrate inside there to prevent rust but it does grease the
bronze bushings. And if you do add an upright-zerk   be sure to add it on the
side, more-or-less in the middle of the casting numbers; I've seen guys drill
the bottom- and then they couldn't reach the zerk for service without pulling
the wheel. Adding a right-angle zerk to the bottom sometimes causes problems
with wheel clearances, too. Marino's end-grease system has no access or
clearance problems and lubes the shaft, spacer and the bushings, which is how I did
our Pantera. But thats just me- J Deryke