[DeTomaso] Rear upright removal, photo gallery

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 13:39:48 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/28/08 11:11:44 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> How do I hold the entire assembly, to keep it from turning, while I try and
> muscle off the axle nut?  How many people does this normally take.

The Nor-Cal club uses a 4-ft-long piece of 1/4" strap-steel about 2" wide.
One end of the strap is drilled to fit over two studs. Bolt the strap on and
have a friend stand on the other end while you use a breaker-bar with the spanner
socket. Be sure you're turning the nut the correct way- not all left-hand
threads are on the correct sides! S stamped on the axle end = 'sinistro' and is
left hand thread. D-stamped is 'dextro' for right hand thread.
Once the nut is off, you'll likely need a hydraulic press to drive the axle
out of the bearings. Knocking the wheel studs out of the flange significantly
eases the press force needed. Be careful about pressing with "too much" force;
a a few people have found its possible to break a rotor in several pieces with
too much press force. I made up a bowl from a 6" dia cast iron sewer pip plug
by boring a hole thru the closed end slightly larger than the size of the
axle flange. The hole touches the rotor-NOT on the flat part but on the inner
edge next to the flange.   Try to position any press stand-offs as close to the
inner edge of the rotor as possible, and if it takes more than what a 12-ton
home press can give, something is very wrong! Good luck- J Deryke