[DeTomaso] Rear Brakes Install

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Jun 29 12:23:09 EDT 2008

Forest
I need to pull the piston out of the elephant ear on the passenger side rear
brake.  I had Byers do a rebuild on the rears a couple of years ago, and
part of their process was to powder coat the ears. Trouble was, where the
metal clips on the cylinder are designed to slide up and down the ear when
the brakes are applied, the powder coating is a tacky surface.  When they
get hot, the rears stick and drag because the cylinder can't retract enough.
I found this on my drive to Vegas a couple of years ago.  I got to Paul
Rimov's in Medford to find that my driver's side rear had been dragging a
good deal of the way.  Paul pulled the brake off, slipped the cylinder out
of the ear, and we used a Dremmel to buff down the inner edges of the ear
where the bracket needs to slide.  Since then the driver's side has been
fine, I've just never gotten to the passenger's side.

OK, my question is this.  What is the trick to pulling the cylinder off the
ear and getting it back on again:  Or is there a trick?

Thanks in advance
Mike Thomas
Panteras Northwest