[DeTomaso] FlowKooler Water pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 02:08:28 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/26/08 8:07:30 PM, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> So I don't need to vent my hood?  I like air flow... whats the consession?
>   How is the behind the radiator deflector mounted?

Depends. Std hibachi-vents are about 5" x 12", two each. Surface area is thus
120 square inches. A Pantera radiator core surface is 26" x 16"- so surface
area is 416 square inches. Expecting to vent more than about 29% (120/416) of
the air passing thru the radiator and out those hood vents is whistling in the
dark, I'm afraid. Now, if you chopped GT-40-sized vents in your hood, lots
more air could come out; 'course you lose the entire front trunk. I also suggest
buying a fiberglas hood to chop holes in as an uncut std steel hood is worth
around $1400 while one with holes is worth nothing unless you luck into someone
else who also wants to chop one up.

The under-radiator deflector is simpler: a 2" deep flat strip as wide as the
radiator, attached straight up & down to the lip below or slightly behind the
radiator seems to work well for Z-28s, and especially Pontiac Firebirds that
don't even use a grille opening to cool their 350 cubic inch V-8 at speed.

Note that most Panteras have zero problem with cooling if the car is moving
above 30 mph. Both the hood vents and a below-radiator deflector need the car
to move at least that fast to work at all, so neither is gonna cure overheating
in heavy traffic. For that problem, you simply need fans that create a 30 mph
breeze and let the air find its own way out. Hope that helps- J Deryke