[DeTomaso] FlowKooler Water pumps

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 16:22:36 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/26/08 10:02:56 AM, parapantera at aol.com writes:

> Is the Weiand? that much better for $50 more?

Weiand's 8209 is aluminum, is rebuildable, has a straight blade impeller and
no bypass channel. In my experience, changing waterpumps, impeller types,
thermostats & piping will do absolutely nothing for stabilized engine temps in a
Pantera. The ONLY thing I found that lowered engine temps (after a typical 30
minute highway run) was going to a bigger aluminum radiator. The only thing I
found that lowered around-town running temps was adding big sucker fans in a
full shroud. I also found that calibrating the temp gauge changed some of what I
thought I knew re our engine temps.
During this thrash 8 years ago, I added a backing plate to the Weiand's
impeller, added shrouding to the grille opening to ensure 100% of the entering air
went thru the radiator, changed the size of the surge tank etc, etc. All
theoretically good but didn't change the engine temp. I have no direct experience
with Flowkooler but the lightweight Weiand has survived 18 years on our engine.
FWIW- J DeRyke