[DeTomaso] Stupid question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 15:50:41 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/25/08 11:58:58 PM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I set my lash hot to spec, and then let the engine completely cool.  Once
> it has completely cooled, I measure the lash.  From then on, I set the lash at
> the cold setting.  It's a lot nicer setting the valves when the engine is
> cold.

I've personally not been very successful at setting lash cold, with any kind
of precision. So my method is to set lash as close as I can when cold, then
start the engine and adjust lash while its running- for both hydraulic or solid
lifters. This ensures that no valve will get set too tight. It also ensures
you will ruin any clothes you're wearing from oil spray so change to a
disposable outfit before doing this. It's possible to do one cylinder head's worth of
valves before the heat of the sprayed oil and smoke off the headers cause too
much discomfort. A 15-minute cooldown for myself and the engine works out well,
then I finish the second headful of valves. FWIW- J DeRyke