[DeTomaso] Carb Spacer

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Wed Jun 25 14:26:18 EDT 2008

Dear Brent,

You wrote:
I've read a few places that that a 2" high intake carb spacer can increase plenum volume. "A spacer increases the carb-to-plenum floor distance which atomizes the fuel better and also enhances low-rpm torque and throttle response".

$$$$$$$$ Well, maybe. A carb spacer can do that, but exactly what effect it would have on a given engine is a function of the interaction of cam profile, carb, intake, engine displacement, etc. They can have real benefits in terms of torque and horsepower. On my two engine builds, the dyno tests were done and finished, then came the trial and error process of testing for the most effective carb spacer. Determination requires placement of the spacer and repeat dyno testing. The bigger the spacer is not always the better spacer. It is mostly a trial and error process to select the best one. Different spacers can affect the torque curve at different points. So, I would suggest, if you're looking for a modest improvement with a spacer, then a session with a chassis dyno and a set of carb spacers from 1'' to 3" will a) permit you to properly dyno tune your engine ( a good thing) and b) permit you to pick the best spacer for your specific engine.

Good luck and good wrenching, Chuck Engles