[DeTomaso] 90  Deg rad hose

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 15:22:30 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/22/08 2:28:21 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I laid my rad down and now I'n in need of a couple of 90 deg hoses with ~
> 8" arms. The ID is 1 7/16". I'm having a hard time matching that up here in
> the Great White North. Jegs has no stock. I think Gates 20065 would work.
> Anyone have a supplier that would have that for me? I've been to 5 parts suppliers
> with no luck.

Will, I never use molded radiator hoses for anything and do not recommend
them. They cannot (as you're finding out) be located on the road for emergencies
and are often of inferior quality anyway. Instead, use 1-1/4" 90 degree copper
sweat-solder fittings with a piece of high quality Gates Green Stripe
straight hose for each end- the rest of your cooling system should be using this
stuff so it'll be consistent, too. The 1-1/4" copper fitting is slightly less than
1-1/2" OD and any 1-3/8" radiator hose can be forced onto it by moistening
with hot water. My system has had three of these fittings for 10 years with no
fancy beads on the ends either: both radiator inlet/outlets and the return line
from the long pipe to the surge tank, positioned just below the crank pulley
on the engine. Instead or trying to bead the ends, use double hose clamps and
check them yearly for tightness. Any good plumbing supply shop will have the
fittings for about $5 each. FWIW- J Deryke