[DeTomaso] LPC-Torque Settings for AN Fittings

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 15:07:03 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/22/08 12:26:03 PM, cdifani at pacbell.net writes:

> For example, the AN8 fitting is recommended to be torqued at 29 ft lbs. The
> AN6 hose fittings are to be torqued at 16.25 ft lbs.
>
> How do you do this?

Chris, I've never torqued AN fittings, even on military airplanes, and I've
not seen it done in pro race shops either! A crowfoot socket will be close
enough to 'correct' whatever that may be, for most situations. Note that torque
wrenches need yearly calibration to anywhere near correct and the ones found in
most home shops can be from 5-20% off "true". They mostly serve to introduce
consistency in tightening, not absolute accuracy. 16.25, or even 19 ft-lbs is a
ridiculous spec for a   fitting, especially if we're talking about
fine-threads in stainless steel. Try somewhere between 15 and 20 ft-lbs. Good luck- J
Deryke