[DeTomaso] Have you touched your valves lately?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:03:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Nothing particularly exciting here, but since 2 weeks from now I'm joining a
small group of 20-something people driving through the French countryside
visiting chateaux and then going to the Classic 24 Hours of Le Mans, this
weekend was maintenance time.

I've got a Compcams 282S solid lifter cam, and last had the valve lash set 2
years ago when due to lack of time I farmed out the job. So the last time I
actually set the valve lash myself was three years ago, I think. it probably
took me a good 20 minutes to set the first valve, trying to remember the
trick. Now too much lash. loosen it up. too much! Now too tight. now too
loose.. what a disaster!! Good thing I started with the valve that is
easiest to reach!

Once I got that first one set and remembered the trick, the rest more or
less flew by.

This job has been made easier by replacing the valve cover bolts with some
blingy-long screws with wings that Mike Drew gave me a few years ago. Makes
reaching the bolts up near the firewall a whole lot easier. I think the
worst part of adjusting valves is getting the stock bolts out and in of the
valve covers. Thanks Mike!

I noticed that I have one rubber valve cover gasket and one cork. I remember
doing that, but don't remember why. Neither one leaks, both have been reused
for 5-6 years now, so I guess that there is no real advantage to one
material over the other.

Interesting that 100% of the valves were way too tight. I brought the car to
a trusted shop that has just been certified by Porsche, which is a long and
complicated process. So I figured that if they satisfied Porsche with their
quality, they could probably adjust some valves on a Cleveland! I don't know
if they converted inches to metric wrong and used the wrong feeler gauge or
what happened. the lash was all completely consistent, but consistently too
tight! So I ended up adjusting all 16 valves.

While I was in the neighborhood I noticed a loose vacuum hose, so that got
tightened up.

Firing up the car I was very pleased to hear the old Cleveland-powered
sewing machine noise that comes from properly adjusted solid lifters. I
didn't realize I was missing it! A slight low-speed stumble also went away,
probably because of the vacuum leak?

Anyway, the car is running better than ever. It feels as though it revs
easier, and just "feels" happier. So I do too!!

It got washed inside and out, filled up with 98 octane, and is now parked
until the adventure begins in less than 2 weeks!

Conclusions - you solid lifter people - when was the last time you checked
your valve lash?

Conclusion #2 - if you want something done right, do it yourself!

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://members.aol.com/PanteraGT5S1985/