[DeTomaso] Brakes!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 04:18:54 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/20/08 11 00 41, daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com writes:

> Porterfield has R4S (soft), R4 and R4E (endurance) pad compounds,
> among others.  The R4S is a soft pad meant to have a coefficient of friction
> cold.  That makes it great on the street and autocrossing but they can fade
> at elevated temperatures induced by repeated hard stops.

Actually, amazingly, they *don't* fade at blazing temperatures.   What they
do is just wear away instantly.   I literally put a new set in my GT350, drove
a track day at Laguna Seca, then the next week drove to Las Vegas, drove the
first day at Las Vegas, and by mid-afternoon the pads were gone, down to the
backing plate.   I never noticed *any* degradation in braking performance until
I started hearing the metal of the backing plate scraping the rotor. :<(