[DeTomaso] Brakes!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 04:15:02 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/20/08 10 18 17, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> This brings me to an interesting question.  I just got my Porterfield
> R4S pads for the Pantera.  A note on the invoice says the R4S pads are
> -not- for racing use.  So does that mean sanctioning bodies won't
> accept them? Or does that mean there is a specific performance
> characteristic that is not suitable to the track?  If a person wanted
> to autocross their driver Pantera, would these be the wrong pads to
> have?  And if so, what would be the better recommendation?

The R4-S is a dual-purpose pad, designed for fast road driving, autocross,
and 7/10ths track driving.   Although they will work at full-race speeds, pad
life is measured in minutes, not hours.

If you are running with the C-group in Las Vegas, these pads will probably
work fine.   If you are fighting for the lead against Bob Benson, they will work
fine, but be gone by the end of the weekend.

Mike (who has worn two sets of R4-S pads to the backing plate in just two
days on the track, until he got smart and ordered a set of dedicated R4 track
pads for when he's running hard on the track...)