[DeTomaso] main water tubes

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Fri Jun 20 12:39:28 EDT 2008

Paul,

Here's what I think I know about bead rolling on  tubing:

Bead rollers for are designed to roll beads on soft tube material  with a
wall thickness of around 1/16 (0.0625) of an inch or less.

Commonly available copper pipe is hardened and has a wall  thickness of 1/8
(0.125) of an inch.

I have a very nice, high quality tubing bead roller.  Tightening the roller a
very small amount each revolution and making several  revolutions, I was able
to put nice beads on in 1 1/4 ID (1 3/8 OD) hard copper  pipe.

Had I annealed the area of the copper pipe where the beads  were to go, the
bead rolling would have been a piece of cake.

If you don't have a $400 bead roller, the next best thing is  soldering a
14GA copper electrical house wire to the tube. The wire beads work  just fine,
are fast to make, and are cheap.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 6/20/2008 6:19:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,