[DeTomaso] Cooling system drain

Dagny Kristine Bakken dagny-kr at online.no
Thu Jun 19 17:35:30 EDT 2008

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] På
vegne av MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sendt: 19. juni 2008 11:10
Til: jmontero at fcmat.org; detomaso at realbig.com
Emne: Re: [DeTomaso] Cooling system drain

In a message dated 6/17/08 10:22:35 AM, jmontero at fcmat.org writes:

 What is the easiest and most efficient way to drain the cooling system
 in a Pantera?

>Blow the main hose off the water pump while driving down the freeway at 80
mph. :>)

>Mike (been there, done that back in 1989...)

>>HAHAHA!Quite a shocking experience i think.Beeing to chicken to drain it
that way,i have drilled a 8 millimeter(M8) hole in one of the straight pipes
under the car,and welded a M8 nut to the outside so that it matches the
hole, and used a short M8 bolt to close it off.As my cooling system was very
dirty and full of rust when i received the car,i added a bottle of coolant
system cleaner and after the recommandation to warm up the engine several
times,the system was easy to drain by just untreading the bolt.Now i use a
blend(50/50) of antifreeze(cooling liquid) and water to keep the system
clean,the water pump seal lubed,and a higher boiling point for the system :)
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03987.htm

Øyvind