[DeTomaso] Clutch Pressure plate rebuilding

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 16:23:47 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/19/08 7:56:19 AM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Can someone explain rebuilding pressure plates and clutches to me?

I've only seen it done once eons ago, at Bay City Friction in San Jose.
Pressure plates are rivited together and the rebuilder cuts the rivits and replaces
all the worn parts. The holding power of a pressure plate is in its springs-
whether its a stack of coil springs or a belleville spring as used in a
diaphragm pressure plate. The inherent value of a rebuilder is in the choice of
parts and the possibility of custom work available. A stock Pantera pressure plate
has around 1800 lbs force and 'racing' units are 2600 lbs and up, I think.
Custom covers are available that deflect less with heavy springs. Lightweight
aluminum covers and steel-sprayed aluminum pressure plate surfaces are used in
certain racing classes, but you won't find these at Pep Boyz! Plus, in a
Pantera, the Long type lever arms cannot have bob-weights on them as moving levers
will hit the inside of our bellhousing when the engine's running. There are 4
different Long clutch levers and only one type will fit, so Pantera
clutch-lever arms must be re-used or new ones modified to fit. Its also possible to have
a hybrid pressure plate built up using stock Long clutch parts with Borg &
Beck arms (used in Chryslers) that have roller bearings in their pivots for less
pedal effort and more even cover force with the same holding power. Lots of
possibilities and likely some new ones I never heard of, but not cheap. HP books
used to publish Tom Monroe's 'Clutch and Flywheel Handbook' thats good
reading, too. FWIW- J DeRyke