[DeTomaso] main water tubes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 15:10:25 EDT 2008

I see no advantage in changing from my vendor-supplied stainless steel water
tubes (modified for our car's system) to some other non-corrosive material. If
new tubes are to be made from something that radiates more heat for better
engine cooling while not corroding, then some of that extra heat will go into
the main cabin. Adding heat rejecting materal so that the car's floor is blocked
from receiving extra heat, only adds more weight. A recent write-up for
Dynamat says 'doing a complete car typically only adds 100 lbs of weight....'.
Probably not talking about a 2-seat sportscar, but still....

So did I miss something here; what's the purpose? To improve cooling or avoid
paying a vendor for their well-worked-out stainless system to replace the
rust-out failures of stockers? If it's only to improve cooling, all the pipes
should be replaced: besides the main straight pipes, there's the curled pipe
attached to the water pump inlet, the curled pipe attached to the thermostat
housing, the curled one that goes from a straight pipe to the swirl tank and the
two bent pipes going to & from the radiator inlet/outlet. Together these 5
pieces are longer than either of the straight pipes and may not impact cabin
heating as much. And if I were to do this, I'd use 2" tube everywhere so as to
improve water flow a little. FWIW- J DeRyke, confused