[DeTomaso] Radiator Filler/Expansion Tank ?

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Wed Jun 18 18:07:00 EDT 2008

Barry,

I am using 1 1/4 ID x 1 3/8 OD hard copper tubing I got at  Home Depot.

I got into the copper because:

1) My OEM tubes were pretty well wasted and also tended to hit the  front
roll bar.

2) I needed to make new tubes to clear the power steering rack  I am
installing.

3) Someday I may lay the radiator half way down and  I would need to make a
second set of tubes for the front end. I wanted to use  something available,
easy, and cheap.

4) I want to replace the long tubes under the chassis and add  drains to the
tubes.

I have a bead rolling tool which certainly isn't for use on 1/8  inch thick
hard copper. But by upping the roller pressure a little bit  at a time, it
rolled beautiful beads. You can also make good bead equivalents by  soldering
small gauge solid copper electrical wire to the tubes. The bead is a  mechanical
stop for the hose camps and doesn't need to be a water seal. See the  attached
pic.

Let me know what you do.

Have fun,

SOBill Taylor