[DeTomaso] Cooling system drain

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Tue Jun 17 14:30:25 EDT 2008

I would add that you should jack up the rear if you are draining from the
front or jack up the front if you are draining from the rear to completely
empty out all the lines.

I learned the hard way about not jacking up a Porsche 911SC Targa I had, I
decided to change the oil the first time myself and save $50.00  ( this was
in the 1980's )

The book said 14 quarts, so I drained it and added 14 quarts, cleaned up the
mess and dressed for a date later that night.

Hours later I picked her up ( she lived near me, big mistake, don't date
those that can see who else comes to your house ) anyway...

We drove on and I look up in the mirror and I look like a Mosquito fog
patrol.

Panic sets in, I call a friend who asked me if I jacked it up.....duh, no,
why would I do that.
ahh the oil in the lines that goes all the way to the front of the car to
the oil cooler and back ( est at least another 6 quarts ), so there I was in
my 20 quart oil containing 911, about in tears thinking I had destroyed the
car and just a little bit embarrassed, nothing cooler than
yuppie wannabe with chick in fog mobile butterscotch 911 leaving a white
cloud in my wake.

He said to take it home and drain the extra oil out and everything would be
fine, it was...except for her, never saw that one again after that, couldn't
handle real life I guess.

Anyway, lots of lines under there going to and fro and all that
water/coolant needs to be changed as well.

Michael in Savannah

--
Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it. Thank you