[DeTomaso] MDs Radiator

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Mon Jun 16 02:42:16 EDT 2008

CIT

" Thanks, Ken.
works- at least on a few Panteras- is NO THERMOSTAT at
 all! Running a GT-5 with no thermostat in Arizona, the owner could not get
the
 temp gauge to show more than 120 degrees in high summer,

 The confusion seems be multiplied due to some brands of thermostats flowing
 better than others when open, regardless of temperature rating. I've been
 meaning to investigate this in Judy's car using the old flathead
Cheers- J Deryke"

The GT5 is having a pretty good splitter thet is feeding air to the
radiator.
I havent ever been running a thermostat on the Hemi. But there is no
recirculation
present. It does have long varm up period, so I stay of the trottle a little
longer.
The very best thermostat I have used was the 3 way "shunt" ( Swedish word)
system.
The shunt is actually a valve that vorks like a house water rdiator heater
system.
It opens gradually as the water gets heted, partley letting water go to the
radiator
while the other % is recirculated. When all water is warm there is 100%
radiator
circulation. But there is newer any "thermostat restriction" and allways
100%  waterpump
flow.
I am not saying that this system plays any big part in cooling the engine,
but it keeps
the flow up all the time, eliminating head spot boiling. An even during warm
up there
is 100% internal engine waterflow without thermostat restriction.
Goran