[DeTomaso] ZONKEY's Appraisal

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 15 21:18:45 EDT 2008

Will,
I was asking myself these kinds of questions while I was pulling the
engine and taking off other parts.

I am totally happy with the 4.6 conversion. It's run absolutely
flawlessly since I drove it to Silver State in Sept. '01, leaving home
with about 75 mi on the engine. It's now showing 14,700. When I drained
the coolant, it was perfectly clear and there was not a hint of rust. Of
course everything (I think) it touches is either aluminum, stainless, or
rubber, so I guess there shouldn't be. So yes, I'd absolutely do it again.

When I did it, there was very little in the way of after market stuff to
make more power. Now I think there is. But even basically stock as mine
is I'm getting about 290 RWHP. Depending on whose RW to Crank inflation
factor you want to use that's something like 360 to 385. More than
enough for me. And no, I don't miss the low-rpm torque. The torque curve
is pretty flat and above 240 (RWTQ) from 2.5K to 6K rpm. Max is about
282 over the 4.2K to 5.1K band. And, try this with your high output
Cleveland, I can pull away smoothly starting at, say, 1000 rpm with my
foot on the floor. Nothing exciting happens, just a smooth increase in
power. Another thing I was pleased by is that I was on the dyno at a
club dyno day over a year (and maybe 5K miles) after my initial dyno
runs and got essentially identical dyno results and the engine hadn't
been touched. It can't tell you how many times I've seen Panteras,
presumably recently tuned, hop on the dyno and things just don't run
very well; they're popping and belching and frequently sort of crap out
at the high end.

As for doing anything different, no not really. Although I'm going to
look into getting my EEC (computer) permanently reprogrammed (I'm
currently running a custom chip that accesses through the "service
port") to eliminate the possible failure of the chip or its connection.

Not related to the motor but one of the things I was very glad I did was
use anti-seize on all the threads. At the time, and I posted in '99
about it, I used a ceramic based hight temp compound from Griot's
Garage. One advantage was that it was white and very easy to clean up
after. It worked very well and even my stainless bolts holding the
muffler to the header came right off. They don't seem to offer it any
more. So I searched to see what else I could find. The nickel version of
this anti-seize tape line looks like it would be great and have no clean
up issue at all.
http://www.antiseize.com/index.htm?bycatgry.htm and click on POLY-TEMP®
NICKEL Tape (36300)
If you have trouble with that link, try this http://tinyurl.com/5nnc7e

Richard

--
-----
Sincerely, Richard Barkley

To Ski or not to Ski, that is the question!

Richard Barkley (310) 373-6695 (home)
E-mail:  rlbpantera <atsign> earthlink.net
ZONKEY'S home page: http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera
Mammoth Lakes Vacation Condo: 2BR+loft/3Bath - Horizons 4 #186 (760) 934-6758
Condo web address: http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarkley