[DeTomaso] Lay down rad or -WHY DO YOU NEED COOLING FANS???

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 16:56:57 EDT 2008

Hey Goran,

Agree....at idle and in traffic my not-so-now-new carbon fiber hood... see photos on the TPR web page <www.teampanteraracing.com> of the hood. The hood design no doubt contributes to increased cooling at idle and at NO to slow speeds in heavy traffic.

As difficult as it is for many skeptics on this List to believe the mods we made to the cooling system have allowed us over the last two years to not need any fans in hot weather or bumper-to-bumper traffic or at WOT in track and orr conditions.   To get to this point in a street modified Pantera with a 550+HP engine has taken allot of time and allot of help to sort through what works and what doesn't.

Dawg

Göran Malmberg <hemipanter at hemipanter.se> wrote: Hi, in my experience from a number of different hood wents it looks like a
lay down
design together with a large hood vent provides a self vetnilation effect,
hot air is raising.
The lay down style gives the radiator a slightley better possition for such
effect.  I
believe that fans and scrouds do disurbe this effect a little, and a
"radiator tunnel" making
it better. A stock closed hood system will not work in this fashion. I have
been using my
car without fan time from time. And it is definitley not needed as long as
the oil
temperature has not reach full operating temperature, which takes quite a
long ideling
time from cold, or say 5 miles of driving. Running the Supertrapps without
any discs
does also help cooling a lot, with the silent setup using 5 discs, a fan is
needed.
Goran.