[DeTomaso] Intersting observations on bushings and ball joints

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jun 14 22:32:57 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/14/08 19 25 58, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> It wasn't so much shoulders missing from the bushings, they were in fact
> the set from Wilkinson, but that once pressed firmly in place, they
> extended more on the outsides than on the insides of the a-arms.  Width
> wise, they fit perfectly, individually.  But together on one a-arm, the
> total length was too long and I had to muscle them in.  No shims
> required.  I imagine from the pressure exerted from the a-arm, they will
> eventually settle a bit more centered.

Don't forget that with stock bushings, the nuts should not be tightened until
the suspension is at the proper ride height.   That is, you don't want the
car in the air, suspension drooping, when you tighten the nuts, because that
then puts the bushings in a constant tension when weight is put on the car.   Use
a floor jack under the bottom of each hub carrier/spindle and compress each
corner suspension before tightening the nuts.   And don't over-tighten them
either.   They use nylocks, and aren't supposed to be ohmyGod tight, or they will
cause the suspension to bind somewhat.

Cheers!