[DeTomaso] Intersting observations on bushings and ball joints

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jun 14 16:06:22 EDT 2008

On the shoulders missing from the new a-arm bushings, if you add such things
indiscriminately, it varies the caster in the front end alignment. Set the
bushings up so the a-arms are pulled toward
the front firewall (thus the left & right a-arms will have bushings installed
opposite). Then you'll get a desirable increase in caster which vastly helps
high speed handling for free. Some vendors sell offset bushings with varying
shoulder thicknesses to accomplish this caster increase. I would have used
shim-washers to fill any gaps between a-arms & bushings rather than bending the
a-arms by graunching on the bolts, but that's just me. The a-arms are only mild
steel and typically no harm will be done.

On the tapered stud being slightly too long, add a thin washer of proper hole
size under the upright lug to take up the extra space where the stud
protrudes. Then the taper on the stud should lock down in the upright hole and the nut
will tighten properly. Are you re-using OEM nylocks or are the studs in your
ball joints drilled for cotter pins?

>From all this, its pretty obvious these parts are NOT OEM in spite of the
pretty logos, but they should work OK- Ford ball joint tapers have not changed
since 1957 so the whole world knows its a 1-1/2 degree taper per foot of length-
same as some Chrysler models. I'd also bet your wheels will need a toe-in
adjustment after all this. I'd do some low-speed testing aroung your home before
'trying the setup out' on a superhighway, too! Good luck- J Deryke