[DeTomaso] ZONKEY's Appraisal

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 14 00:08:50 EDT 2008

I just got an appraisal report on ZONKEY's current value. The guy who
came to do it seemed quite knowledgeable about cars in general,
frequently judges in concurs events and back in the '70s had a close
friend who had a Pantera and the two of them took it to speed events on
the local dry lake. He was very impressed with my car and appraised it
at $66K and was aware that I'd done much of the work myself. As another
data point, I asked Dave Adler at the PI Xmas event last year what he
thought it was worth. Without much thought (but he is quite familiar
with the car) he said $70K to $90K. I thought that was a bit high, but
maybe not.

You might be wondering why he was appraised. Some of you at Vegas heard
that ZONKEY got bumped in the rear as I was getting on the Pasadena
Freeway. It was dark and just starting to drizzle. The Pasadena fwy has
the unique feature of requiring you to come to a stop less than about
100 ft (maybe it's only 50) before the on ramp merges with the traffic.
Here's a Google map view of the intersection.
http://tinyurl.com/47ed4a
The two white cars (one on the on ramp) are about where it happened. I
came to a stop. Saw a hole and started to accelerate. The ground was wet
and being the first rain of the season the road was quite slick from 6
months of oil drippings. I could feel the rear end break loose so I
stopped before I got on the Fwy. I waited for another hole and was just
about to take off when the guy behind me saw the same hole. Thud. He
hadn't noticed I was still there.

Wilkinson will be handling the repair. I decided that I wanted to pull
the engine out and Steve also suggested removing much of the interior
as a precaution. So over the weekend through Wed. I did that. The tow
truck came early Thurs. am. The preliminary repair estimate last Jan.
was that it would probably be over $10K to fix it. The guy who hit me
only had $10K of liability so now my ins. is taking the lead.

I've posted some pictures of the damage:
http://gallery.mac.com/rbarkley67#100016&bgcolor=black&view=mosaic&sel=1
the user name is pantera and the password is zonkey (all lower case).

I'll keep the list posted on the progress. Hopefully he'll be as good or
better than before.

Richard

--
-----
Sincerely, Richard Barkley

To Ski or not to Ski, that is the question!

Richard Barkley (310) 373-6695 (home)
E-mail:  rlbpantera <atsign> earthlink.net
ZONKEY'S home page: http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera
Mammoth Lakes Vacation Condo: 2BR+loft/3Bath - Horizons 4 #186 (760) 934-6758
Condo web address: http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarkley