[DeTomaso] Lay down rad or -WHY DO YOU NEED COOLING FANS???

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 16:31:23 EDT 2008

Someone not skeered to speak up on this subject says and I quote:

  "This is all in TEXAS heat which is hotter than Dawg's Kalifornia heat"

  Your right...minimal mods to the existing system make big improvements but I am talking about NO FANS PERIOD.....That's right, it must be hotter IN TEXAS because you still need cooling fans! ;-]>
  BWAHAHAHA

  I'll KEEP saying it until one of you knuckle heads gets it... I have 486RWHP and it doesn't matter what temp, road or road race conditions I am on - I do not need any cooling fans OR shrouds with this radiator.

  I want to hear one person explain on this List why anyone needs cooling fans or shrouds IF they have a well designed cooling system with an adequate flow of water??????????

  NO fancy or magical water or additives

  Okay everyone - don't start at once ;-]>

  michael frazier <red3644 at hotmail.com> wrote:

The cooling issue keeps coming up and I agree with Dennis (sorta) and will add some real quick personal observations:
1st Pantera, stock cooling system overheated when I first got it. Bled it and burped it and it never overheated again.
2nd Pantera, stock radiator and sucker fans. Never overheated.
3rd Pantera, totally stock system, Never overheated.
Current Pantera, Huge custom aluminun rad with fans, Never overheats even when at idle forever adjusting the EFI.
. You just need to find your problem and fix it
but it doesn't require special parts or engineering.
Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:32:27 -0700> From: teampantera at yahoo.com> To: JDeRyke at aol.com; wdemelo at cogeco.ca; detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Lay down rad or -WHY DO YOU NEED COOLING FANS???> > Yo Jack, Will & fellow List Slackers,> > I didn't want to do it but you once again have forced me to pull out the flamethrower.> > I would normally agree with 99% of your solid advise Jack but this is one I can no longer keep quiet about. ;-] Your convential in-the-box advise is dated. The vendors advise is dated, the mechanical engineers advise is dated. Yea, thats Mike Trusty and Dick Drenske too! ;-]> > > Every stock and aftermarket radiator that needs FANS and shrouds to keep any Pantera cool in traffic or in race conditions is in my personal real world opinion poorly designed > How do I know this? Read on grasshopper. ;-]>> > My $100 radiator (thank you Ken Green) has never needed a cooling fan - NEVER in 2 years. Never needed one let alone 2
 cooling fans or a shroud to stay cool at idle, on the street in traffic or in race conditions. Again, NEVER needed a shroud or anything else to keep the operating temps at a cool 180-190F. You guys are pissing me off now ;-]>> > After two years with this radiator in the Pantera I am going to REMOVE the one sucker fan Drenske installed on the backside because I've NEVER had to use it and I am removing it because we don't need it plus its ugly plus, plus, plus I'm never wrong...okay, so I forgot to check the decklid pin! ;-]>> > So again, no cooling fan (s) or shrouds> > * NOT in stop and go 95F LA-San Diego 1-5 mph creep> * NOT in open track race conditions> * NOT in open road race conditions from 150-180 Mph> > Yea, we had to shoe-horn the latest radiator we got from Ken lay-down style to fit but its beautiful and it fits and it works. I can't guarantee you will only pay $100 bucks for your ron Davis radiator but you can see photos of my $100 radiator on the Team Pantera
 Racing web siteat www.teampanteraracing.com> > Okay, I is loving this continuing discussion on cooling the Pantera. You guys will still be writing and talking about cooling fans and shrouds 10 years from now. ;-]>> ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ> > Cool Dawg> > JDeRyke at aol.com wrote:> In a message dated 6/12/08 6:01:05 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:> > > My new "old" car is overheating and I'm going to get the rad recored. I > > might as well modify it so it will accomodate the future front condensor. Do any > > of the vendors sell a mod kit to accomplish this? If so, are they worth it? > > I remember reading that the front gets moved forward but the bottom gets > > moved back so the hood can still close> > > If you buy a radiator from a Pantera vendor, they all sell kits to lay their > rads down; can't predict how their stuff works with a stocker but I suspect it > will be no problem. I laid our stock rad down myself and had no clearance > issues at all; the top simply tilts forward
 in stock rubber lower mounts, which > are (or should be!) quite flexible. Same thing with a much bigger Fluidyne rad- > no bottom alteration needed. Any lay-down radiator also makes zero difference > in cooling but does give much better access to the hose clamps and thermostat > connections, and makes it easier to fit up a shroud with big sucker fans, and > those WILL make a difference in cooling. You also have to completely remove > the air-obstructing front fan mounts before any lay-down system will fit, and > fabricate or seriously alter the stock top shroud cover- which is still > necessary with a lay-down. Good luck- J Deryke> > > > **************> Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best > 2008.> (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list>
 DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso> > > > Mad Dawg Antenucci > Team Pantera Racing > The 1st & still the only vintage race team in open road racing > www.teampanteraracing.com> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso
Search that pays you back! Introducing Live Search cashback.
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=srchpaysyouback