[DeTomaso] Damper installation and CV Products pulleys etc. Questions

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 15:36:34 EDT 2008

I'm mocking up the belts on the front of my motor, and would prefer to buying too many of the wrong parts.  Problem is that these are all non-stock parts.  If anyone has experience with this, comments would be greatly appreciated.  I have:

Fontana block
Yates belt drive
Fluidamper
2 CV Products two pin drive 5 rid crank pulleys
matching CV Product water pump pulley
Gilmore dry sump pump gear.

The cover plate for the belt drive fits perfectly on the Fontana block, and the lower timing gear and Damper seem to fit correctly on the crank snout.

I've looked at other engines and the CV Products catalog and they show a 2.168 inch long drive hub bolted to the damper to line up the crank pulleys with the water pump pulleys, but it looks like I need about 1.7 inches.  I can buy a shorter drive hub and a short spacer, but I'm trying to make sure this all makes sense before I order more parts.

One more detail, I have a Bryant crank, and I think people have mentioned needing a spacer when a non-Cleveland crank is used in a Cleveland block.  I don't know if this is also an issue with the Fontana block, and I don't recall exactly what the correction was.

Thanks,

Ken