[DeTomaso] Oil pressure question

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:51:16 EDT 2008

My car always (Prior to my dyno) ran at an oil pressure of 70.  I had a fuel starvation problem which has turned out to be a corroded banjo bolt and possibly sloppy plumbing by the prior owner with the fuel pump/filter.  The car was lean above 4000 rpm on the dyno.  It started dying on the interstate and dropping pressure this week.  Now that the fuel line changes were made today it runs fine but the oil pressure fluctuation remains.
I put a 1/8 inch fuel gauge on at is is a constant 6.5 PSI with an electrical fuel pump.

So I think my fuel limitation is solved but if the accelerator is held down for about 2 seconds or more the oil pressure goes from 70 to zero instantly but the car runs fine.  Immediately if you let off the gas the pressure is right at 70 again.
I thought maybe it was an electrical issue as my engine temp used to do this when I turned on the lights which turned out to be a bad ground that was easily fixed once identified.  The car runs like new  if driven lightly.

Anyone have this problem before or have any ideas?  It seems the pressure should not be able to go 70 to 0 to 70 so quickly and be real.
Also I noticed a new problem that the AC makes the car runs like crap now and make a shaking and groaning noise intermittently.  Resolves when the AC is off.  All AC is new and cold.  The AC noise must have began about the same time as the oil pressure.

Thanks
Clay