[DeTomaso] Lay down rad

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 23:12:52 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/12/08 6:01:05 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> My new "old" car is overheating and I'm going to get the rad recored. I
> might as well modify it so it will accomodate the future front condensor. Do any
> of the vendors sell a mod kit to accomplish this? If so, are they worth it?
> I remember reading that the front gets moved forward but the bottom gets
> moved back so the hood can still close

If you buy a radiator from a Pantera vendor, they all sell kits to lay their
rads down; can't predict how their stuff works with a stocker but I suspect it
will be no problem. I laid our stock rad down myself and had no clearance
issues at all; the top simply tilts forward in stock rubber lower mounts, which
are (or should be!) quite flexible. Same thing with a much bigger Fluidyne rad-
no bottom alteration needed. Any lay-down radiator also makes zero difference
in cooling but does give much better access to the hose clamps and thermostat
connections, and makes it easier to fit up a shroud with big sucker fans, and
those WILL make a difference in cooling. You also have to completely remove
the air-obstructing front fan mounts before any lay-down system will fit, and
fabricate or seriously alter the stock top shroud cover- which is still
necessary with a lay-down. Good luck- J Deryke