[DeTomaso] Ignition truble

Mike Vallee mike.vallee at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 12 19:21:03 EDT 2008

From: "JDeRyke at aol.com" <JDeRyke at aol.com>

Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Ignition truble

A bronze distributor gear is yet another racing part designed to allow steel racing camshafts to be used in engines that don't have matching steel distributor drive gears available. Used in racing, the oil gets changed along with the soft gear after each event. On the street with zero maintenence, it causes trouble as has been noted.
FIX: do not use racing parts in non-racing applications unless you also use racing maintenence schedules. Good luck, all- J DeRyke

----
So Jack, should we have replaced the gear with a steel one? MSD said nothing about this being a racing only
part. They said that the gear needed to match the camshaft gear. They recommended the same (bronze) gear
for the replacement, saying that the second application of the same bronze gear typically lasted pretty much
forever. If I need to go back and reinstall a new steel gear I will. I don't want to go through the same problem
again.

Thanks!

--mike v