[DeTomaso] distributor removal

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 12:51:43 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/11/08 6:49:59 AM, BillsStore at aol.com writes:

> I am about to attempt to replace my stock distributor with a Mallory drop
> in distributior.  Any 1 2 3 step suggestions  to make this  job easier?  what
> problems can I expect to encounter?  Can it be  removed without taking the
> hatch off?  I assume the best approach is to  take the interior motor cover
> out.

Due to the orientation of the distributor, its easier to take it out from the
top (remove engine screen and air filter) leaning over the engine. But you'll
still have to take the upholstery panel off, and also the steel access door
to get to the distributor hold-down bolt, and possibly to pry up a bit on the
base flange with a screwdriver if the distributor's not been out recently.
Then, if you hear a "TINK-glurg" as the distributor comes out, you know that the
previous "mechanic" put the oil pump driveshaft in upside down, and it just
lifted up, then fell into the pan.... Looking inside the distributor hole in the
block with a flashlight, you should be able to see the end of a hex-drive down
about 8". If not, this confirms that the job has only started. Good luck- J
Deryke