[DeTomaso] Connecting to the Coolant Underbody Tubes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 22:27:44 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/10/08 11:48:20 AM, cdifani at pacbell.net writes:

> My coolant lines are AN16, and my heater lines are AN12. My current issue
> is figuring out some way to create a threaded fitting on all the lines. I
> realize that I could create some kind of adapter, and then use a short length of
> radiator hose to connect it, but I'd much prefer a "solid" connection.

Dash-16 lines are small compared to stock which would be around dash-22
(1-3/8" ID). These larger fitting are available from Aeroquip for use in large
airplanes and are not cheap. Some are sold thru speed shops. If you're (hopefully)
using aftermarket stainless steel underbody lines, they can be hand-flaired
with some effort by pulling sideways while rotating a piece of pipe or thick
bar stock stuck in the tube end an inch or so (once the AN nut is slid on), then
complete the bootleg-flair by greasing the nut and connecting fitting up, and
slowly tightening the nut and coupling together. A small amount of careful
ball-peen hammer work might help. Or, stainless AN fittings can be cut and
welded or brazed to the SS underbody tubes for an expensive but never-fail fix.
Obviously this is best done out of the car with the tubes in a big vise, and it's
even more useless effort with the stock exhaust tubing used for our main
water tubing; you'll likely to be in there again fairly soon due to rust.

On the thicker walled but smaller diameter heater tubes, once you're sure
they are not badly rust-damaged, they can also be welded or hand-flaired in the
same manner. The tubes are a true pain to remove first, so i"d try doing them
in-place, with the engine out. Back in the day, we flaired dragster exhaust
pipe tips and Weber intake pipes the same way, for looks, using a torch to warm
the end of the tube and a long chunk of pipe. The only reason hand-flairing
works is the tubing is seamless so it doesn't split while you're brutalizing it,
and it's fairly soft. The operating pressures involved are ridiculously low
compared to what AN fittings are designed for so even a bootleg single-flair
will hold.

Or, good Gates Green-stripe hose & 2 clamps per hose end also works for most
of us. Good luck- J DeRyke