[DeTomaso] FW: Dynamat! and Stethosocpes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 22:09:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/11/08 18 54 59, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> Seems there's a long narrow piece of factory foam parallel with the rear
> window's upper channel, and Kirk's found rust that eventually worm-holes its
> way
> clear thru the roof! I've personally only ever seen one maltreated Pantera
> in
> Nor-Cal like this and we didn't know what the cause was, but my take now is
> NEVER put anything in a steel Pantera that seals to any part of its skin-
> anywhere, ever. If the extra noise bothers you, earplugs are cheap.

My Pantera suffered from this very problem (among many others!)   De Tomaso
put a piece of thick felt in the U-channel that goes between the top of the
back window, and the underside of the roof.   That piece traps and retains
moisture and the roof skin rusts from the inside out.   Mine required a pair of
patch panels on each end, about 3x6 inches or so?   Even though the felt was
removed at that time, now (15 years later) I notice a tiny bubble under the paint
closer to the center of the roof; evidently it was a patch of interior rust
that wasn't excised. :<(