[DeTomaso] DeTomaso up for sale

Matt Bradley apollo73 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 13:17:07 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----

From: "MikeLDrew at aol.com"
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:53:32 AM
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] DeTomaso up for sale

>You're probably alone in that regard then.   The factory grounds are simple industrial property, which has a
>well-established value and can be used for any sort of manufacturing operation.   It has 'real' value.

It might have value as property in general then, but I don't see the DeTomaso facilities as any sort of real factory.  Why
else was the Pantera manufactured at Vignale?  And I seriously doubt the grounds has any modern machinery or tooling of any kind.

>The De Tomaso logo and name would only have value to a very small (microscopic) element of society; even within
>automotive circles, the marque name isn't particularly respected, thanks in no small part to the Machiavellian actions of
>De Tomaso over the years.

It may not be a big name, but it is a historic name.  Buying old marque names and reviving is in fashion right now
(Spyker, Maybach, Buggati, etc.).  To me, the DeTomaso name and logo are the real attraction here.  The grounds are just
property.  The right to the DeTomaso and Pantera names are the real value.

>Given that the company hasn't produced anything of any real significance for more than 20 years, it's virtually a 'dead'
>marque.

Don't forget, several groups have already tried to buy DeTomaso, but the asking price was ridiculously high.  So there is
legitimate interest in the marque.